Monday, November 7, 2022

1972: Gary Kurtz email

Hi Steve,

It’s easy to understand why the photo that you took of Dellinger, Jim Ryun, Phil, and Pre is very dear to you. It unknowingly set the stage for so much of your life.

 

It’s been a long time since we’ve talked. I worked for NIKE just over twenty years, which doesn’t compare to your forty-plus years.

After I left NIKE, my wife Kathy and I moved to New York City where we lived for about fifteen years and recently moved to Denver, close to where we’ve had a small condo in the mountains for quite some time in a town called Frisco, CO.

A few weeks ago, we were visiting David and Cass Kottkamp, and Bob and Mary Anne Woodell, in Bend and were trading names of books we’d read. David suggested your book, 1972. I couldn’t find it in Denver so bought it on Amazon and to my surprise it was shipped from Goodwill Books in Hillsboro, OR.

I found your book terrific; fascinating, touching and very inspirational. I recalled that you were an outstanding runner at Oregon but didn’t realize your close friendship with Pre.

Years ago, Geoff Hollister gave me a couple copies of his documentary production of Fire on the Track; I get inspired every time I watch it despite the sadness.

You wrote in your book intro, “I’m no writer”, but I enjoyed your book as a great complement to Phil’s book, Shoe Dog.

Don’t underestimate your writing skills; it’s an outstanding book and hopefully getting the reader attention it deserves. It's a must-read for anyone who works for, or has worked at, NIKE -- or a runner, or a running fan.

I know most of the ‘older' NIKE guys you mentioned in your book, though haven’t seen or talked with any of them for years.

It’s an easy, fun read!

All the best.

Gary Kurtz

No comments: