Tuesday, October 26, 2021

1956 Our Move to Japan

Family photo as we moved to Tokyo, Japan
(left to right) brother Randy, mother Joan, dad Steve Jr, and me

I was born in Tennessee, started kindergarten in Japan, and graduated high school in Spain. I lived in ten cities and three countries over those years, and I was in different high schools my sophomore, junior, and senior years.

Ah, the life of an Air Force kid.

School wasn’t that hard; what was hard was remembering my latest address. Making friends with people while knowing that I wasn’t going to be around long enough to keep those friendships. Planning anything beyond a few months out seemed impossible.

Why? Because I never knew when Dad was going to give us our latest “orders.” And they almost always involved leaving where we were and going somewhere else where the Air Force wanted him to be.

No wonder I grew up as a kid desperately trying to find a place to belong. To feel some sort of permanence. To feel as if I mattered. 

No comments: