Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I'll be an Adjunct Professor, someday


Today, I officially started co-teaching a Sports Product class today with Ellen Devlin. I have some work to do before I'm officially an Adjunct Professor, but I took my next big step today to get there.

What is an Adjunct Professor?

An adjunct professor is a part-time professor who is hired on a contractual basis rather than being given tenure and a permanent position. Many universities hire large numbers of adjunct faculty members because they are flexible and cheaper to maintain than traditional full-time faculty members. Just like regular faculty members, adjunct professors must fulfill basic educational requirements before they can teach, and many of them are very well-educated, talented people. The use of adjunct professor positions has grown in many universities in response to decreased funding, which forces these schools to make choices that are sometimes difficult. If the choice is between hiring adjunct professors and closing a program, many schools consider it better to hire adjunct professors.

No comments: