Sunday, February 14, 2016

Pictures from the 70's

I scanned 24 pictures from my running days and posted them here.


Click "Read more" to see all 24 pictures.


#1:  My HS Senior year at Zaragoza Air Force Base in Spain.  My best 800 meter time in high school was 1:55.



#2:  I won my first 8 races at Oregon as a Freshman.




3. After placing 2nd in the Pac-8 championships, 6th in the NCAA championships (All-American), and making the US national junior team, I qualified & ran in 1972 US Olympic Trials. Dave Wottle (in the hat) won the trials in a world record time and then won the gold medal at the Olympics in Munich.



4.  A December workout at Hayward Field. From left to right: Pre, Knut Kvalheim, Steve Bence, Mark Feig, Lars Kapaung.



5.  1973 Team Picture.  I'm on Pre's right in the second row about the middle. Click on this (or any of the pictures here) for the full-size version.



6.  I won the first mile race of the outdoor season in 1973.


7.  Results in the Register Guard the next day.

 

8. This is my journal entry after the race.
 


9.  A month later I was on the cover of the meet program with Pre.

 
 


10.  The cover of a meet program in 1974.



11.  The first lap of a race at OSU.



12.  The second lap of the race above.



13.  An 880 yard race at a home meet.  I won in 1:49.8, Wes Smiley second in 1:49.9, and Mike McClendon (also UO)  third in 1:50.0.



14.  An invitational meet at Hayward Field.
 
 


15. A duel meet against UCLA.  Tony Veney (UCLA in the lead) beat me by 0.2 seconds.  His time for 880 yards was 1:49.6 and I was 1:49.8.
 


16.  A winning 880 race against Oregon State.

 

17.  This was a mile invitational at UO.  I went on to win.  Off to the left you can see Steve Prefontaine watching.
 
 


18. I competed for 8 weeks in Europe in the summer of 1974. Some new friends that I met in Sweden.
 
 


19. I won my first three races in Finland. At the urging of Pre, I put white tape in protest over the AAU symbol of my USA uniform.
 
 


20. I place third behind the great Jamaican middle distance runner Byron Dyce.
 
 


21. I surprised the 800 meter Swedish national record holder in this race in Sweden.
 
 
 

22.  Rick Wolhuter missed the World Record by a tenth of a second in Stockholm.  I placed 4th (#22 on the left) in my best ever 800 meters (1:47.3).



23. With the Great Race trophy on May 29, 1975. Left to right: Matt Centrowitz, Steve Bence, Pre, Mark Feig. We were at Pre's house relaxing before going to the evening meet mentioned below.






24. With the Great Race trophy on May 29, 1975. Left to right: Matt Centrowitz, Steve Bence, Pre, Mark Feig. We were at Pre's house relaxing before going to the evening meet mentioned below.



25. Before my last race as a UO Senior runner and Pre's last race ever. It's hard to tell but my mouth was wired shut after breaking my jaw in a fall at the Pac-8 championships mile relay. Pre died hours after this picture was taken.


 

1 comment:

Pearson said...

Nice to see these pics. They bring back a lot of memories for this NW runner.