Saturday, February 9, 2019

Email from Joan

Hi Steve and Mary,
 
A while back Greg was surprised to get an e-mail from his only granddaughter, Laren. I then contacted her by e-mail to tell her how happy I was about that and to suggest she write letters for snail mail because that is an easier way for him to get mail. With e-mails, he has to be taken to a place where computers are.
 
Laren wrote me that she would like to get better acquainted with me and I ended up realizing that I was not writing for many reasons, one being writing with too many details. So, I decided to do a summary of my life. You probably have just received Chapter 1 of that. I expect to continue in that format and seem to have ended the writer's block.

Laren Saviers (l) & Dorothy Pyle (c)
Among the other reasons for not writing has been a tendency to sleep a lot. I'm trying to quit taking two naps a day and keeping the one nap shorter, like less than two hours. The blizzards we have been having, with dreariness, have been good for sleeping.
 
Beyond that, I have also let things get into my schedule that have taken up most of the now-limited energy I do have. This week, my days have included events like this: Monday morning a now-weekly massage, Tuesday, the weekly Euchre game; Wednesday, the six weeks of morning Tai Chi; Thursday, my weekly visit from a nurse turned reflexologist who goes over my body for an hour with her healing hands and who gives me good advice about maintaining good health; Friday morning, the weekly wonderful Bible Study led by our chaplain. Saturdays are free as long as I don't go down  at 6:00 p.m. for a fun weekly card game.
That game interrupts the evening movies that Marilyn and I share with Milt in his apartment, There are also daily devotions with Milt (that don't take long) and my time in the kitchen at 5:30 to prepare salads or another light dish for Milt and me and very healthy shakes for Marilyn, Milt, and me.
 
Although I have a cleaning service every other week, I still maintain my apartment by putting forth a big effort to be tidy, keeping my laundry done and pressing clothes I've worn but aren't dirty yet, barely keeping up with paperwork (mail), occasionally ordering clothes for me or books for Greg, working jigsaw puzzles, etc.
 
It is a good life and  I expected to be happy at this stage of life just writing my autobiography and getting boxes of photos organized and downsized.
 
Old age isn't as full of sitting and doing little as I thought it might be. I'm in good health and am in a study program for postmenopausal women designed to keep us from just sitting a lot. It is an extension of the Women's Health Initiative that I got into in
1991 when I ate low fat for six years. I do walk a half mile in the halls most days and am headed down to the exercise room now to do some upper body exercises. I forget to exercise many days.
 
I'm still excited about my 90th birthday and watching what others do for their birthdays. There are generally balloons in two colors and I have an idea about our getting big signs for the Ducks and Buckeyes and putting each sign next to balloons in the school colors.
 
Life is good!
 
Love,   Mom/Joan

No comments: