Friday, November 3, 2017

Adidas Training Spikes

Interval   Adidas Training spike (nothe the padding under the heel)   Made in West Germany   About 1972  

These were my best and favorite training spikes in college.

I ran my first track workout at Oregon in September 1971. I was new to college training and didn't know the protocol. I was ready to do the track workout when Dellinger told me to jog a mile as warmup, stretch, and do some strides which I did.

Then he asked where my spikes were. In high school I only wore spikes to race in. The size 11 spikes which my mother bought my freshman year were in he dorm so I ran over to get them. Dellinger asked to look at them and declared them crap.

Dellinger asked a teammate to take me to a barrel where discarded spikes were tossed and I dug out a pair of size 9 Tiger spikes which were incredible compared to what I was used to. And they fit!

I wore those Tiger spikes for my freshman track season of training and wore them in my first competition.
Image result for bence feig kvalheim
(left to right) Pre, Knut Kvalheim, Steve Bence, Mark Feig
I won my first races at Oregon and then ran sub 1:50 relatively early in the season. One of my teammates said I should write to Adidas and they would probably send me free shoes, which they did. I received a training, a training spike (the Interval pictured above), and a racing spike. The spikes were even better than my Tigers.

No comments: