Monday, November 6, 2017

1974 Seattle Indoor Mile

1974 Seattle Indoor Meet   Mile   2nd Place   4:04.1
I was the defending Seattle Indoor champion in the 1000 yards.  But Dellinger put me in the mile.

I was disappointed that I couldn't run the 1000 and I wasn't too nervous about the mile. I knew I'd have to relax in this longer distance, stay out of trouble, and do whatever I could do. My first 3 quarter mile splits were 61.8, 62.7, and 61.8.  I was in the lead for the first 100 yards and quickly fell back into fourth and then to fifth. Surprisingly I had a lot left with a quarter mile to go and picked up my pace.  I passed three runners and almost won with a final quarter mile split of 57.8. If the race was 10 yards longer I could have won it.

4:04.2 Bob Maplestone
4:04.4 Steve Bence
4:04.5 Jim Johnson

It was a banked plywood track with 11 laps to the mile so I consider this one of my best races ever. Dellinger even commented that I might be a miler.



1 comment:

Greg G said...

Cool radio! I still have the binoculars from winning the 1,000 that night. You should have run with me for a time of 2:08 and then taken Bowerman up on his offer to run in Louisville!