Thursday, November 2, 2017

My High School Spikes

My High School spikes   Either Spaulding or Wilson   Size 11   About 1968

My High School spikes. Running technology has advanced a lot in the past 50 years!

My mother bought these spikes my freshman year of high school. I was probably about a size 7 at the time, we didn't have much money, and she was tired of buying shoes (band, football, basketball, running flats, etc). So she bought size 11 and expected me to grow into them. I've never grown into them! In college I wore size 9.

My mother responded: "I will comment on the size 11 spikes even though I'd rather not. That was back when I trusted everyone whom I might think of as an expert. The shoe salesman said both Randy and Steve measured out at size 11 and I was startled but gullible enough to believe that without question. Just remembering what I did that makes me want to shrink down and disappear. The big word in my very-senior generation is "downsize." I have downsized my belongings and every time I forget something, I say "That's one of the memories I have discarded in downsizing". I have tried to forget the size 11 shoes incident but as soon as you mentioned it, I remembered clearly. I didn't keep on buying size 11. The mistake wasn't fatal but is embarrassing."

No comments: